Sometimes it is very tiring having to always go to your doctor so he/she can help you check your blood pressure. You can always do it at home using omron blood pressure monitor.
There are things/ factors that can lead to the acceleration of your blood pressure. The following can cause raising of your blood pressure; smoking, stress, caffeine, particular medication, excessive drinking, temperatures that are cold and also vigorous exercise. Some of the times your doctor requires you to keep a check on your blood pressure every now and then.
- It is advised that before you check your blood pressure you are supposed to;
- Look for a place that is very quiet since you will have to listen to the rate of your heartbeat.
- Ensuring that you are comfortable enough and very much at ease with a bladder that has been currently emptied.
- Pulling up the sleeves on your arm.
- Resting on a chair close to a table for about 5 to 10 minutes. You should ensure that your arm rests in a comfortable manner. Sitting up straight while your back rests on the chair and not crossing your legs. Then placing your forearm on top of the table with your palm facing upwards.
Steps to Checking Your Blood Pressure
For you to be able to check your blood pressure at home you are supposed to have a digital blood pressure with you.
1.Locating your pulse.
You should look for your pulse by putting your index and middle fingers to the inner position of the bend of the elbow. In case you do not find a pulse on your elbow, you are then supposed to put the head part of the stethoscope in case you are using a manual monitor or maybe the cuff of the arm for the digital monitor in the same area.
2 .Secure the cuff
Slide the cuff on your arm by threading the end of the cuff through the loop of the metal, ensuring that the head of the stethoscope is across the artery. To locate the stethoscope head an arrow maybe be used to show the marking on the cuff. The cuffs lower edge should be approximately an inch above the elbow bend. To ensure that the cuff is not very tight you then use a fabric fastener. After that you then have to put the stethoscope inside your ears so as to better listen to the sound.
3. Inflating and deflating the cuff.
For those using the manual monitor. You are supposed to;
- Put the gauge of the pressure on your left hand and for your right hand hold the bulb.
- By clock wisely turning the screw you close the valve that facilitates airflow on the bulb
- Using your right hand you then squeeze the bulb to actually inflate the cuff.
- You should then carefully watch the gauge. And continue inflating the cuff till it gets to the point where the gauge reads closely to 30points above the systolic level that is expected.
- Slowly releasing the pressure inside the cuff by leaving the airflow valve open by focusing on the gauge with your eyes.
- Carefully listening for the first beat of your pulse. The moment you hear it you note it on the gauge.
- Then you deflate the cuff slowly in a continuous manner.
- Carefully listen till the moment the sound vanishes. The moment you cannot hear the pulse you then note the reading down on the gauge. Thus becomes your diastolic pressure.
- Then let the cuff to completely deflate.
For those using the digital monitor;
- Use your right hand to hold the bulb.
- Power button should then be pressed. This will display all the symbols clearly a zero following. This is to show that the monitor is actually ready.
- By squeezing the bulb using your right hand the cuff is inflated.
- You should then study the gauge. And then continue inflating the cuff till it reads 30 points on the gauge. The value above expected systolic pressure.
- Then watch the monitor when you are quietly seated. On the screen the readings of pressure will be displayed.
- For you to know that the measurement is complete you will hear a long beep. The note down the readings shown on the screen. On the left appears the systolic pressure while on the right appears the diastolic pressure. After the reading then you get the rate of your pulse.
- Then lastly let the cuff to deflate.
- If your reading are not very accurate you are advised not to inflate the cuff immediately. You should wait for a while.
4. Record your blood pressure.
You should then record your blood pressure the time, the date, your systolic and diastolic pressures and any important happening like for example change in diet and many others.